Here is an example itinerary for a two day one night stay in Shanghai. It covers the modern face of the city, namely Pudong and it’s magnificent skyscrapers, the Colonial history at the Bund, shopping along the famous Nanjing Road, the French Concession and traditional Chinese culture via temples and classic gardens.
- Shanghai World Financial Centre
- Wander past the towers Jin Mao and the new Shanghai Tower
- Dongcheng Road Wharf and ferry to the Bund (金陵东路)
- Stroll north along the Bund
- Nighttime stroll along Nanjing Road Pedestrian Street
- Shanghai Urban Planning Museum
- Jing’an Temple
- Xintiandi & The French Concession
- Yuyuan Garden
- Nighttime Huangpu River Cruise
This plan is designed to spend the least amount of time possible in-transit making use primarily of Metro Line 2. For places to stay, I would suggest a hotel close to a metro station on that line, see here for my picks of hotel picks along Nanjing Road which includes several near line 2 stations.